Athletic Foot Care
Athletic Foot Care
Whether you are a professional athlete or play sports just for fun, the demands made on your feet and lower limbs can lead to a range of injuries, including blisters, sprained ankles, torn ligaments, shin splints (leg pain), knee pain, low back pain and other joint or muscle problems. Added to these are common complaints such as corns, calluses and Athlete's foot. Your running style, poor footwear and even minor limb length differences can also contribute to injury.
Here are some tips for athletic foot care:
• Wash your feet every day, and dry thoroughly.
• Wear only good-quality, well-fitting cotton socks.
• Always use the correct shoe for each sport and surface.
• Get in shape. Being overweight or out of shape places added stress on the feet. Condition yourself gradually with stretching exercises for 15-20 minutes before starting and after any activity ("warm-up" and "warm-down").
• Wear correct shoes. Footwear should be given the same consideration as any other piece of sporting equipment. Sports shoes should protect as much as possible, be durable, and should be right for the sport and surface. If running, the shoe should have adequate cushioning in the mid-sole and a flared heel for stability.
At Neville Foot and Ankle Centers, we offer an experienced team of medical and surgical specialists of the foot and ankle. As licensed podiatrists, we believe our patients deserve to have the information necessary to make good choices about their foot and ankle care.
We love communicating with our patients on Facebook! We provide information about new technologies and care tips that you're going to love!
Our patients trust us to evaluate a wide array of solutions to help improve their mobility.
Our foot & ankle experts love sharing their knowledge about care and latest treatment options!